Mareseatoatsanddoeseatoatsbutlittlelambseativy.

Monday, June 14, 2004

under God


Interesting take on today's Supreme Court indecision


Why am I reciting all these Jesus-related slights and annoyances? I'm not asking for sympathy: I'm just trying to establish my bona fides when it comes to understanding what's at stake when authority figures at publicly-funded institutions force kids to participate in religious activities that violate their families' beliefs. I know what it feels like.


That being said, I'm actually completely unconcerned, or maybe even relieved, about today's Supreme Court action voiding a prior decision regarding the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. In case you've missed the news, the court actually decided to reject the case on a legal technicality (the plaintiff didn't have standing because of a pending child-custody dispute) rather than to address the underlying constitutionality of the complaint.

No comments: