Mareseatoatsanddoeseatoatsbutlittlelambseativy.

Monday, June 07, 2004

Petals Around the Rose

"I was introduced to 'Petals Around the Rose' by Dr. Richard Duke at the University of Michigan . Dr. Duke used to begin each of his gaming/simulation courses with this exercise. While some students would solve the problem right away, others would struggle all semester. It had taken Dr. Duke well over a year himself, and he would always explain that the smarter you were, the longer it took to figure it out."

What people seem to always fail to realize is that there is a very big difference between being smart and being well trained...

Ken

1 comment:

gberke said...

When I read the whole thing and noted they used to be played on dice and were brought to a computer and, hmmm, they still used dice... that was all I needed. Up until then, of course, things were going nowhere.
What caused me to read about the game was noting that 8 came up twice from completely different numbers and so the data could not be in the number unless it was bone-crushingly difficult. I don't do bonecrusingly difficult.
About 5 minutes until I read, and then just time to try it out.