Mareseatoatsanddoeseatoatsbutlittlelambseativy.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

On the Making of America



SLAVERY AND THE MAKING OF AMERICA is a four-part series documenting the history of American slavery from its beginnings in the British colonies to its end in the Southern states and the years of post-Civil War Reconstruction. Drawing on a wealth of recent scholarship, it looks at slavery as an integral part of a developing nation, challenging the long held notion that slavery was exclusively a Southern enterprise. At the same time, by focusing on the remarkable stories of individual slaves, it offers new perspectives on the slave experience and testifies to the active role that Africans and African Americans took in surviving their bondage and shaping their own lives.

Denver area:
KRMA Analog
CHANNEL 6
8:00pm

Other areas

3 comments:

gberke said...

I recommend "Look Away: A history of the confederate states of American", by William C. Davis.
But it occurs to me that this post is very very valueable and we should ALL see it. I have Tivo and I will pick up the series.
Thanks. From such actions we develope a coherent language and a shared culture.

gberke said...

THIS is going to be THE accurate story... I can see from the very beginning of the series.
Watching PBS, their question is foremost in my mind:
If PBS doesn't do it, who will?
My god, what an incredible station!
I know people who "don't watch TV".
They read papers, they rent DVDs, they go to movies.
PBS is not "TV": it is a classroom.
It is a classroom like no other. It is a classroom where the most current thinking on the planet may be seen. It, far more than something like Bush, is America.

Ken said...

I was too busy to watch. I'll have to "rent the video" or watch it when it re-runs. Maybe next week?