Mareseatoatsanddoeseatoatsbutlittlelambseativy.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

What a Shocker!

[deadpan sarcasm]
I mean can you believe it? What crazy antics those guys at the Justice Department must have gone through. Now just moments from a record breaking fine due to a proven conspiracy by the big tobacco companies to hook people, primarily young people, to their addictive product, suddenly out of now where they offer a much reduced penalty. Wow, who'd have thought such a thing could happen.
[/deadpan sarcasm]

[republican spin]
Well those lawyers must have screwed something up I’m sure. Leave it to the government to screw it up.
[/republican spin]


Tobacco Escapes Huge Penalty

U.S. Seeks $10 Billion Instead of $130 Billion

By Carol D. Leonnig
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, June 8, 2005; Page A01

After eight months of courtroom argument, Justice Department lawyers abruptly upset a landmark civil racketeering case against the tobacco industry yesterday by asking for less than 8 percent of the expected penalty.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Glad I bought tobacco stock last week. I can't beat them, so what the hell... I'll use my profits to stockpile weapons.

Ken said...

I don't believe in hurting oneself in order to make a statement against another. So buy them stocks!

gberke said...

love that flexible xml notation